The year is coming to an end! In my world, it was a never ending series of changes, both big and small. But no matter what, there were books to keep me together.
Books, in my opinion, are magical. They can transport you in seconds to another world, another time, another life. People read for a lot of reasons, but for me, that reason is generally escapism. I love to take a break from the rest of the world and dive into a good book. I can lose myself in a book, totally oblivious to the world around me. And I love that.
There have been a lot of great books this year. Anyone who knows me knows that my reading tastes are crazy eclectic. Romance, thrillers, dystopian, YA, fantasy, horror… you name it, I’ll read it! Here’s five of my favorites!
- Vox by Christina Dalcher. This one is a dystopian set in near time America. It was chilling, a world where women have been completely subjugated. They are figuratively and literally silenced, limited to 100 words a day. Any more and the consequences are dire. The twists and turns, the emotions… all of it was amazing!
- The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen. A thriller that was so filled with twists and turns that I had it all wrong! It was such an engrossing read that I couldn’t put it down!
- The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. This is the much-awaited sequel to The Handmaid’s Tale, which I’m obsessed with. This book began before the first, ending long after it. A lot of questions were answered, but just as many were created. This is an intense, thought-provoking read.
- Lies You Never Told Me by Jennifer Donaldson. This was a YA thriller, and one I couldn’t put down. I thought I had it all figured out. I didn’t! It is a fantastic read!
- The Water Cure by Sophie Mackintosh. This is part dystopian, part feminist, part lyrical realism. It was such a bizarre story, with some extremely dark moments. But it told a haunting story that I will never forget.
What about you? What are your favorite books of the year?